Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
This Article will guide you through SRD First Boot and cryptex installation to Quickstart your Research by Building from Source or Installing from pre-built DMG.
Table of contents
- macOS Version 12.1 (21C52)
- Xcode Version 13.2.1 (13C100)
- Security Research Tools 21C39 (SRT 21C39)
- brew install gnu-sed automake
- PR42: https://github.com/apple/security-research-device/pull/42
- Universal DMG: https://xss.cx/srd/dmg/srd-universal-cryptex.dmg
- ASAN Beta DMG: https://xss.cx/srd/dmg/srd-asan-cryptex-beta.dmg
- UBSAN Beta DMG: https://xss.cx/srd/dmg/srd-ubsan-cryptex-beta.dmg
- Install: https://github.com/xsscx/srd/tree/main/dmg#readme
- Discussion: nvram settings disabling KTRR, CTRR and kASLR https://github.com/apple/security-research-device/discussions/2
- Build Entitlements Issues for PR 42, 48, 49 https://github.com/xsscx/srd/blob/main/srd_tools-24.100.3/example-cryptex/srd-iphone11-iphone12-entitlements-testing-sample-example.md
SRD First Boot
This Post will cover Connecting your Apple Security Research Device (SRD) to an X86_64 or M1 for installation of a cryptex using a Host. Topics covered are First Boot, Configuration Options, Prebuilt Binaries, Cryptex File System Installation and Code Signing.
This example makes use of the directory ../example-cryptex/.
- Plug in your SRD to your X86_64 or M1 HOST
- Open Finder and Trust the Device
- On the SRD Screen, Trust the Host
- Open Terminal
- cd example-cryptex
Read this Article before you type:
Boot your SRD and complete the usual Retail Setup taking care to observe the remarks below. Welcome to the Fold!
DO NOT USE YOUR ICLOUD DEVELOPER ACCOUNT
DO NOT ENTER ANY iCloud, Password, PIN or Recovery Number
ONLY Wireless Network Info
DO NOT ATTEMPT to Upgrade the SRD via Retail Methods like me…
First Boot: Plug in to Host and Boot the SRD. Step thru the configuration screens taking care to Bypass the iCloud, Password, PIN and Recovery Number. Only input your Wireless Info. Open Safari and check that you can Surf the Web. Next, it is time to attach the SRD to a Host.
Read the next Article for how to Install a Cryptex to the SRD or Install the pre-built example SRD Cryptex DMG with the Link below.
Install Example SRD Cryptex DMG
Copy and Paste in Terminal to Download and Install an example SRD DMG
/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/xsscx/srd/main/dmg/install.sh)"
What is an example Work Bench Configuration?
M1 & X86 Mini’s and more powerful PC hardware, JTAG Cables and typical debugging hardware found in a Lab.
Some of the essential Debugging Tools on the workbench are: M1 Mini, X86_64 Pro Laptop, Jailbroken iPhone X, Frida, Wifi-Pineapple, Monitor/Inject Network Cards, Hardware Taps, Hopper, IDA, Breakout Boards, RasPi’s, SIM Cards, POTS Line, Class 5 Switch Access, Twilio, EMF Gear, Thermal Devices, RF/RFI/SDR Tooling. An iPhone 12 Pro, iPad Pro, Homepod & Watch and other Accessories have been very helpful too.
Some of the essential Software Debugging Tools are: Toybox Unstripped, Burp Suite Pro, Proxyman, Wireshark, Paw Cloud, DNS Server, Aircrack-ng, OpenPCAP, Replay Tools, a Cloud Platform for CI/CD, Telemetry, Fuzzing, Crash Reporting and more.